Thursday, October 14, 2010

Challenge day #8 and Day #4 4000 Cal. burn

So life tends to interrupt us when we have something good going on.  I was so excited the other day that I was actually able to run for the first time even if only for short periods of time.  I have been meeting this 21 day challenge head on and doing very well.  I started my own personal challenge and have also been doing really good until today.  I have really struggled today for whatever reason.  I couldn't seem to get past the frustration of knowing that I was not going to be able to make my goal for the 4000 calorie burn today.  It has eaten at me all day long and it's my own fault!
I woke and was ready for the day.... I had plans laid out how my day would go and what little extras I would have to do in order to make my 4000 calorie burn.  I know to some of you this may seem very trivial but for me sometimes the little things are huge.  I knew that with my schedule being different that it would be more difficult for me but at the same time I knew I had the same amount of time off work to exercise etc so it would just be a matter of putting in some extra effort.
I was sitting in the office  from 6 am until almost 10 am this morning.  Don't get me wrong I love working in the office and we stayed very busy so time went by pretty fast but it messes up my daily routine for exercise.  Because I was sitting I knew I wouldn't be burning the calories from walking to and from my bus and pretrip and post trip etc but it wasn't pretty when I looked at my display as I got off work.
I need to back up just a little.  I was supposed to be off at 9:30 but sometimes you just need to finish what you started before you can walk away.  The school had called me at like 9:20 am saying that Jaden had forgot his meds again and I told them I would be off at 9:30 and would run home get the meds and give them to Jaden.  Well guess what in the 30 minutes I spent at work after that call I completely forgot about my son being at school driving everyone nuts because he didn't have his meds.  I was so focused on getting to the gym to get as much time as possible because I knew it was gonna cost me a certain amount of time at the gym in order to reach my number that I forgot to be a mom first.
Well the school calls me back after I have been at the gym just about 40 min and I was so embarrassed that I forgot to get the meds to school.  So I had to leave the gym and I was just getting into a groove.  By the time I got home and then up to the school I could feel the swelling in my hips and lower back and there was no way I could get back to the gym right then and besides now I only had an hour before I had to be back at work and I needed to eat plus have time to get cleaned up a bit. This is why it was my fault for not reaching my goal today... if I had just taken the meds after I got off all would be fine.
While I was at the gym today I decided to try running again.  I did intervals again.  walk 2 minutes then run a minutes... I did this the whole 35 minutes.  It was nice and I ran like 10 or 11 minutes.  I'm glad I was able to get that much in... anything is better than nothing.  Remember me telling you that my hips hurt... it was from the running.... hips are bothering me more than my knees... go figure.  My hips were very sore by the time I was done on the treadmill and called to the school.  My sacroiliac is out so after exercise I have swelling and get very sore and stiff, well today I had that pain and swelling plus my hips were aching pretty bad.  I'm glad I ran though and wouldn't change it, this is just part of the journey. 
Well it's late and I have rambled and whined long enough so here we go... Calories logged and good but a little higher than necessary.  1500 calorie deficit will be just barely short or be barely met...lol.  The 4000 calorie deficit will not be reached.... I will be about 500 calories off.  Although I am disappointed in not reaching this the challenge must go on so I will get some sleep and hit it tomorrow and see how everything goes.  Hope you all had a great day and keeping smiling!  Yes I kept telling myself to smile today too...lol

1 comment:

  1. I can sympathize with you about your SI joint. I too, am struggling with this due to a car accident at the end of August. I am used to running half marathons and after taking sometime off I was looking forward to starting a running program again. Just remember to go slow and easy…if your SI joint is acting up…maybe consider doing a little pool walking/running. You will still get a good workout from this (and remember to stretch).

    You mentioned your child’s meds…is it ADD? I have a child with “special needs” and again I can sympathize with you. Just remember you’re on the right track. There will be good days and not so good days, but just be content that you have done the best with the time available to you and tomorrow is another day.

    Good luck and I look forward to watching your progress….

    ReplyDelete