Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day Two of Bus Road-e-o

Okay so I know this is late but I will post about yesterday then tonight I will post again about today.  I was up and headed for the course before 5AM.  McDonald's made us late getting to the course but we still had plenty of time to get everything set up and ready for the day.  The second half of our group showed up about 6:30AM. 
Okay so here is how the day went from there.  Conventional buses went first then the transit buses and lastly the mini buses.  We drive our buses through an obstacle course consisting of ten events.  Here is the list:

1. Back up Alley
2. Parallel Parking
3. Offset Alley
4. Right Turn
5. Curb-line
6. Straight Line
7. Railroad Crossing
8. Student Load
9. Stop Line
10. Inside Judge

Please keep in mind that all of these events are not typical... you are within inches of barriers and stanchions.  This requires precision, technique and skill and boosts the confidence of every driver that participates.
I drive in the conventional division and was contestant #47.  My inside judge was Highway Patrol officer Thompson.  I blew two whole events and wasn't feeling good about my performance in representing USD #253 Emporia. 
Most of the events I felt like I did okay but I blew two of them and I knew would put me out of the running for 1st or 2nd place.  I placed 2nd in State Competition last year and was hoping to head for Nationals this year but this wasn't my year... maybe next year.  I love going to State Bus Safety Competition each year.  I learn a ton and meet a lot of people and it's a great opportunity to to learn and grow as a School Bus Driver. It's all about safety and we have fun doing it.  Patty and I played in the water with two little girls after a 20 minutes storm, it was great!  We got cooled off, smiled, laughed and entertained all who were around us.  Okay so maybe we embarrassed them but ohh well they will live...lol.
After the competition I was interviewed by the Salina Journal and was in their paper this morning.  Here is the link for anyone wanting to check it out.

http://www.salina.com/news/story/school-bus-rodeo

The time came for awards and the banquet.  The hotel served a great meal and KSPTA (Kansas State Pupil Transportation Association) always does a good job of making the evening a memorable one.  When they got to my category I was truly amazed when they called my name for placing 5th.  It's a great honor to know that of those that compete I have worked hard and represented my school district well.
After the banquet and awards they held a dance and Elvis made his appearance.  The dance is always great fun.  By the time this was over it was midnight so I went to bed instead of doing this post.
Okay so my eating for the day wasn't good but I did try watch my calorie intake as much as possible.  The exercise I did was just walking back and fourth at the course and hotel.  Sorry there wasn't much about my weight loss today.

Here are yesterdays numbers:
Targets set by Armband: 3720 calories burned, 11008 steps, 60 min moderate exercise and 30 min vigorous

Actual for 6/15/2010: 3726 calories burned, 10964 steps, 1hr 16 min moderate exercise and 0 min vigorous exercise

No comments:

Post a Comment